I hope you girls all like this recipe as much as I do as it’s a firm favourite in my house! I made this by accident one day when I forgot to buy any chicken to make a chicken & leek pie so had to make do with what I had in the freezer! It is a little bit time-consuming but I’m sure you could always cook the mix in a slow cooker if you were at work all day! I normally serve with cheesy mash and 2/3 different vegetables, it also works well with home-cooked chips and lots of gravy! Any questions feel free to pop me a message!
- 500g beef (stewing meat / braising steak)
- 1 large leek – chopped
- ½ red onion (optional, can always use more leek instead)
- 2 cloves garlic – grated
- Quartered mushrooms (140g but use more if you love mushrooms)
- 2 beef stock cubes, 1 vegetable (dissolved in 400ml water. 350ml water if using ale/wine)
- Roll of ready-made puff pastry (lazy I know!)
- Salt, pepper and paprika
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- Heat a large pan with oil until hot
- Add beef and cook until browned
- Add the flour and stir well to coat the beef
- Add the chopped leek and mushroom, and grate in the garlic, add salt, pepper and paprika to taste (as much or as little as you prefer)
- Lightly fry together for 5 mins – stir occasionally
- Dissolve stock cubes in water and add to the pan – bring the pan to a steady simmer
- Simmer for 2/2.5 hours until the liquid has thickened ( there should be much much less than at the start)
- Preheat oven to 180 / gas mark 4
- Roll out pre-made pastry – use a rolling pin to flatten it a bit more
- Shape pastry into the pie dish making sure to come over the edge
- Spoon in your cooked pie mix then lay your pastry lid on top
- Crimp edge with a fork to seal and cut off any excess pastry
- Decorate however, you like or leave plain, it will taste yummy either way!!
- Make sure to put a couple of small slits in the pie lid for the steam to escape while cooking
- Brush your pie with a beaten egg
- Place on a baking tray in the middle of the oven and cook for 25-35 mins – the pastry should be a lovely golden brown colour!
- Serve and enjoy!