To celebrate British Pie Week (March 6-12), game specialist Wild and Game has released a simple recipe for home-cooked game pie. They are also offering 30% off all of their pies, so go on…treat yourself!
By specialising in frozen products, Wild and Game is making British game available all year round. The company champions game as a lean, high protein alternative to farmed meats. Wild game is also good for the environment, with some meats, such as venison, produced by necessary culling to protect ecosystems.
Wild and Game’s award-winning pies are made to traditional recipes and run from cold pies with hot water crust pastry through to luxury hot pies such as pheasant, steak and ale or venison, beef, red wine and cranberry.
Wild and Game co-founder Steven Frampton said:
“One of the most satisfying ways to enjoy game is cooked in a traditional pie, and British Pie Week is a great opportunity to enjoy a pie. At Wild and Game we focus on making it easy to try game for the first time – and a pie is a perfect way to start.”
1 pack Wild and Game game mix
1 onion, diced
1 pack of ready rolled puff pastry
200g mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp dried tarragon
A big knob of butter
3 tbsp plain flour
1 litre chicken stock
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C/150Cfan/gas mark 3.
- In a lidded, oven proof pot, fry the onion in the butter and a glug of olive oil until soft.
- Toss the game mix in the flour and season.
- Add the game mix to the pan and brown.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until softening.
- Add the stock and heat until bubbling.
- Put the lid on the pot and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove the pot from the oven and transfer the pie filling into a pie dish.
- Top with the pastry.
- Brush the top with egg.
- Turn the oven up to 220C/200fan/gas mark 6.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the pastry has browned and risen.
- Serve with vegetables of your choice.
Don’t forget, as members of The Country Girls UK, you receive 10% off Wild & Game products, so get your ingredients ordered soon ahead of pie week if you fancy making this yourself!
Visit Wild & Game’s website here.