- 2 Wild and Game wild boar steaks
- A generous knob of butter
- A glug of olive oil
- 150ml Port
- 150ml chicken stock
- 100g pitted prunes
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 small shallots or 2 large shallots, finely sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mashed potato and vegetables of your choice.
- Soak prunes in the Port for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Remove the boar from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large, shallow, lidded pan and fry boar for 2 minutes each side on a fairly high heat, then remove and set aside.
- Pour off any excess fat (you may not need to) leaving enough to cook the shallots without them burning.
- Gently cook the shallots in the pan for a minute or two until soft, adding the garlic halfway through.
- Add the Port and prunes, stir to deglaze the pan and let it and bubble for a minute or two.
- Add the stock and return the boar to the pan.
- Bring to a steady simmer, put the lid on and cook gently for about 15 minutes. The boar is done when the internal temperature is 165F.
- Season to taste and serve with mashed potato and your choice of vegetables.